Sunday, May 18, 2014

Delaware



Ahhhh...... Delaware. Land that's never quite as far north as I think it is. Home of the University of Delaware, Delaware State University and the second-smallest state in the nation. As I'm sure you 're well aware, it's named for Thomas West, 3rd Baron De La Warr, which I'm sure the Baron's decedents are now disappointed they didn't name it something like "Thomasland" or simply "West" instead of something that they likely don't claim as part of their name anymore.

I've only been to Delaware a few times, mostly just passing through on my way to New Jersey. It seems nice, though small. I'd have to imagine that being part of traveling youth sports teams there is kind of nice as your trips can't take all that long. Unlike Georgia, where I'd spend four hours or more driving to get to soccer games when I was in high school, Delaware seems like it would only take an hour to get from one end of the state to the other, depending on traffic.

One thing Delaware does seem to have, for reasons I can't figure out, is the more famous Wilmington. I lived in Wilmington, NC, for a few years and always think of that one, but it seems like the Delaware city is more famous, but maybe that's just my perception.

So that's Delaware.

45 states down, 5 more to go. (If you're keeping track, we still need Connecticut, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Nebraska and West Virginia. If you know anyone from there who could help us out, we would appreciate if you would ask them.)

If you'd like to help with our postcard quest, please find me on twitter (@lukermartin) or leave a comment below. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment