Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Maryland

Sent by Dan and Rachana Desai Martin
Ahhhh, Maryland. Home of Camden Yards, the United States Naval Academy and setting for the greatest television show ever filmed in the United States. I really should go to Maryland more often than I do (which is essentially never) as my brother and sister-in-law live there, just outside of Washington DC. I'd thought about heading there when the Cubs play the Nationals, but that's July 4 weekend and I'm not sure I want to deal with holiday traffic in a major metropolitan area when I could just as easily watch the game from the comforts of my own home.

My other sister-in-law is actually from Maryland and she and my brother make it up there regularly to visit her family. The more I think about it, the more I realize I should probably look to make a trip up there soon.

But no review of Maryland would be complete without a little bit about The Wire. The David Simon show on HBO was a fictionalized account primarily about the drug trade and police response to it in and around Baltimore. It's gripping drama and sets out to be a look at how different segments of society impact other areas of people's lives. I tell people around me that if they haven't seen it and decide they want to watch it, I'd be willing to drive to their home and watch the series again with them.

Nine states down, 41 to go.

If you'd like to help with our postcard quest, please find me on twitter (@lukermartin) or leave a comment below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment