Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Michigan


Ahhhhh, Michigan. A state that looks like a mitten. Land where, when I was in 8th grade, I wanted to go to school until we had a cold snap here in south Georgia and I realized I'd probably die in a cold Michigan winter. When we lived in North Carolina, we'd met another couple who had moved there from Michigan and they had a son about a year younger than ours. So I guess one of my kid's first friends was from Michigan.

I can't say I know a whole lot about the state. Lansing is the capital and the "Imported from Detroit" slogan was popular with Chrysler for a bit, although portraying Detroit as from another country probably didn't do a lot of good for the people there looking for a bailout of their bankrupt city from the American people.

I have been to Michigan once. The sum total of my experience there was when, during my wife's family's reunion in Toledo, Ohio, we drove to Ann Arbor to tour the Michigan campus and try to get in to their football stadium. Despite the sign on the outside of the stadium saying it was open on non-gamedays for the public, it was locked. Nevertheless, I tell people I've been there, but now you know the truth that I've never actually been inside the stadium.

30 states down, 20 to go.

If you'd like to help with our postcard quest, please find me on twitter (@lukermartin) or leave a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment